Tuesday, 5 July 2016

Week 31

Professional Context- Crossing Boundaries and Creating Connections

I was quite lost with this at first. (Maybe I still am!) The thing that confused me was 'interdisciplinary' and 'integrated'. I read 'The Logic of Interdisciplinary Studies' by Sandra Mathison and Melissa Freeman, which helped to clarify it a little for me. They discuss three different models:

Interdisciplinary- combination of two or more disciplines, kept very distinct and clear.

Integrated- goes above specific discipline-bound knowledge. Thematic, often teacher directed.

Integrative- begins with student/teacher concerns/ideas. Goes above specific discipline-bound knowledge.

What Mathison and Freeman point out is that all three models are striving towards providing students with learning experiences that are more meaningful. 

However... my understanding is that Mathison and Freeman are relying on teachers strengths and interests combining to create interdisciplinary learning, something that is rather difficult to do on a regular basis in primary schools, when one primary teacher teaches all subject areas. Maybe we teach on our own, in an interdisciplinary/integrated way all the time without realising it?

Example:
In my junior classroom we might be doing statistics for Maths and need to write statements about what we see in the data/graphs. Both disciplines are kept relatively separate- we will learn about how to write simple, yet succinct statements and learn about the skills needed for collecting data and graphing. I guess this would come under the 'interdisciplinary' umbrella?

Recently, our staff (along with many other Rotorua schools) went and watched the documentary Most Likely to Succeed. I found it quite inspiring but was unable to visualise it in my Year 1 & 2 class. Teachers in the documentary (American) were specialist teachers in their field, like secondary schools here in NZ. They were able to work with another teacher from another discipline, and a group of students, towards something that the teachers had decided on, but in a way that meant the students learnt many skills such as working as a team, working to deadlines, leadership, 21st Century skills, technology...the list goes on. 

It sounds (and looked) fantastic but I am still unsure of what this would look like in Primary settings. 

My 'Connections' map




From this map, I have identifies two goals that I would like to work on.
1. Continue developing more Student Agency. I want my students to start having more input, even just within groups. I also want them to become more aware of assessment and self assessment.
2. Use more technology in the classroom and share with colleagues. I am keen to put more of what I am learning with the Mind Lab (and other learning) into practice within my classroom and to share more of what I am doing in my classroom with my colleagues.


References:
Mathison,S.. & Freeman, M.(1997). The logic of interdisciplinary studies. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, 1997. Retrieved from http://www.albany.edu/cela/reports/mathisonlogic12004.pdf: 

No comments:

Post a Comment